The Class Proceedings Fund (CPF) is a nonprofit fund administered by The Law Foundation of Ontario, intended to enhance access to justice in Ontario by providing financial support to class action plaintiffs in the form of disbursement funding and by indemnifying plaintiffs in respect of adverse cost awards. The Class Proceedings Committee (CPC) is a committee of senior lawyers who adjudicate applications for funding.
The Foundation is an inclusive employer. We respect equity, inclusion, diversity, and anti-racism. We are dedicated to creating a workplace reflective of the community we serve and welcome applications from diverse and equity-deserving groups. Accommodation, if required, will be provided throughout the hiring process in accordance with the Human Rights Code.
Help make a positive contribution to access to justice in Ontario by becoming a valued member of the team supporting the Class Proceedings Committee (CPC).
We seek a Legal Assistant to provide administrative support to the CPC and the Class Proceedings Fund, working closely with Counsel and Associate Counsel to the CPC.
The ideal candidate is collegial, efficient, detail-oriented, works well independently, and enjoys learning and being part of a dynamic and small team.
Reporting to Counsel to the CPC, your duties include planning/preparing materials for monthly CPC meetings, retreats, and for other CPC purposes including manuals, practice directions, and policy and procedures; preparing and updating funding award and disbursement request documentation and records; following up for all application materials, scheduling hearing time; preparing, editing, and formatting standard communication including letters and undertakings; maintaining class proceedings database and case management system to ensure optimum workflow; organizing meeting room calendars and contacts; and providing administrative support for counsel.
- Seven years’ related work experience in a senior support role in a legal service or professional service environment
- Post-secondary education in office administration or combined education and experience
- Superior computer skills working with databases, Adobe Acrobat, and Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Access) at an advanced level
- Strong financial literacy and ability to prepare and update funding award and disbursement request documentation for review and approval by counsel
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail is essential
- A high level of integrity with demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment, operate independently, and be self-disciplined in achieving work goals and problem-solve
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills and excellent editing and writing skills
The Foundation is a hybrid workplace. We offer a comprehensive benefits program, including RRSP matching. This is a full-time, permanent position.
Please send your resume and cover letter by June 9, 2023 to email@example.com and include “Legal Assistant” in the subject line. You may also reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or require accommodation.
As part of our commitment to increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion, we believe in sharing salary information. We are conducting a full review of our compensation bands and practices in 2023. When this process is complete, we intend to include salary information in our job postings and have greater salary transparency overall. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.