The Law Foundation of Ontario was established in 1974 under the Law Society Act. The Foundation receives and uses the interest on lawyers’ and paralegals’ mixed trust accounts to support legal education, legal research, legal aid, and law libraries in Ontario. It does this through grant-making to non-profits and providing funds to Legal Aid Ontario.
A priority for the Foundation is to pay particular attention to groups who have experienced injustice or inequity – past or current – and those who have experienced exclusion or barriers in society. The Foundation also administers the Class Proceedings Fund, which provides cost assistance in class actions. The Foundation is governed by a five-member Board of Trustees appointed by the Law Society of Ontario and by the Attorney General of Ontario.
The Foundation is looking to complement its senior leadership team with a new Director, Human Resources and Operations position. In this role you will lead the strategic planning and management of the Foundation’s human resources policies, programs and services, and the provision of organization-wide operational services including centralized administration, governance support, communications, technology, records and information management, procurement, and facilities management. Reporting into the CEO, you will leverage your experience and be counted on as the trusted advisor to the CEO, the senior leadership team and the Foundation’s Board of Trustees regarding people strategies, business systems and operational planning.
You will be the ideal candidate for this position if you have been successful in managing the full range of an organization’s human resources functions, complemented with overseeing its operational services. In this diverse role, you will have the ability to pivot between strategic and operational demands by managing day-to-day activities while delivering expert advice and support to the leadership team. In addition to your technical skills, your excellent relationship management abilities will allow you to foster collaboration internally. You will have the confidence to provide sound, strategic advice in all human resource matters, including employee relations and engagement, wellness programs, learning and development, and performance assessment. Your strong leadership will ensure a high-performing organization in which values of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) will be fundamental to a positive work environment.
- Provides strategic advice to the CEO and leadership team on the development of a human resources framework which fosters a culture of excellence.
- Develops and champions programs and initiatives that promote and nurture diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
- Provides leadership in developing internal culture, including ongoing relationship building, continuous learning, and employee wellness.
- Leads the development and implementation of people strategies and HR policies and processes which embed best practices.
- Develops and implements internal communications while overseeing external communications strategies.
- Oversees the provision of centralized support systems and services, including governance support, IM/IT, HR tracking, procurement, and operational performance measurement.
- Provides advice and leadership on a range of strategic, tactical, technical, and program delivery matters regarding the Foundations’ operations to the CEO and the Board of Trustees.
- Contributes as a member of the senior leadership team to ensure an effective, collaborative, and positive work environment.
- 10 years’ experience in all human resources functions and operational services, preferably in broader public sector and/or not-for-profit organizations.
- 5 years’ experience in people leadership.
- Proven expertise in strategic and operational planning and in leading an organization towards desired outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability in change management to collaboratively implement and communicate on HR and DEI initiatives and programs.
- Strong consultation and relationship-management skills to provide effective support to the CEO and leadership team on a wide range of human resource and operational issues.
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills to identify, address and mediate resolutions to employee relations issues/complaints.
- Demonstrated leadership skills to sustain a positive and inclusive environment and promote an organizational culture which strives for continuous improvement.
- Strong communication, change management, and negotiation skills to ensure effective internal service delivery.
The Foundation is an inclusive employer. We respect equity, inclusion, diversity, and anti-racism. We are dedicated to creating a workplace reflective of the community we serve and welcome applications from diverse and equity-deserving groups. Accommodation, if required, will be provided throughout the hiring process in accordance with the Human Rights Code.
To indicate your interest in this position, please click on LinkedIn’s apply button to complete the online form with your cover letter and resume by June 24, 2022. If you have questions or if you require an accessibility accommodation, please contact Heather Lucas at HR Associates (our recruitment partner) at 416-237-1500 x 242 or at LFO@hrassociates.ca.
We thank all external applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.