The Law Foundation of Ontario is the sole foundation in Ontario with the mandate of improving access to justice. A priority for the Foundation is to pay particular attention to groups who have experienced injustice or inequity – past or current – and those who have experienced exclusion or barriers in society. Recent ambitious initiatives include capacity-building programs, initiatives focused on rural and remote communities, and efforts to advance racial and Indigenous justice.
As a vital member of the senior leadership team, the Director, Grants and Programs is responsible for providing strategic leadership and direction for the Foundation’s granting activities.
Reporting to the CEO, you will build, support, and manage relationships with grantees and other funders, develop and implement funding activities to enhance access to justice within the Foundation’s objects, ensure operational effectiveness and efficiency of the granting area, develop outreach strategies and communication plans, and provide leadership to staff. By maintaining awareness of new developments in philanthropy you will also provide strategic advice and support to the CEO and the Board of Trustees.
- Manages the Foundation’s grant portfolio, including the solicitation, review, and analysis of grant applications, the preparation of grant agreements, reporting and evaluation requirements, and the ongoing evaluation of programs.
- Provides leadership for the planning and continuous improvement of the Foundation’s granting programs.
- Develops and maintains an awareness of current thinking and new developments in philanthropy, to formulate strategy and advise on granting opportunities and practices.
- Reviews and, as required, recommends changes to the Granting Policy, considering the Foundation’s strategic plan, financial situation, and the evolving legal needs of Ontarians.
- Establishes positive relationships with grantees; plans and conducts outreach strategies and workshops for the benefit of grantees, and responds to complex or escalated granting issues.
- Provides financial oversight and ensures accountability for all grant payments.
- Provides leadership and guidance to staff and contributes as a member of the senior leadership team to ensure an effective, collaborative, and positive work environment.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a strong knowledge of access to justice issues with the capacity to recommend and advise on granting opportunities and programs. You will have confidence to provide sound strategic advice, relying on your experience and in-depth understanding of the legal, policy, and socioeconomic realities that impact the Foundation’s work. Additionally, critical to success in this position you will have:
- Experience in the development and implementation of granting programs and initiatives; preferably in community organizations, philanthropy, legal organizations, and/or non-profits
- Exceptional people leadership skills with the ability to manage, coach, and mentor staff and create and empower a high-performance and inclusive culture
- Demonstrated commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion, including an intersectional understanding of disadvantage and the links between the justice system, socio-economic issues, poverty, and the situation of Indigenous peoples and equity-deserving groups in the justice system
- Strong consultation and collaboration skills to provide evidence-based and effective support and advice to the CEO and the Board of Trustees
- Strong influencing, communication, and vision-setting abilities to develop and inform the Foundation’s strategic and operational grants’ policies and programs
- Proven fiscal management skills and experience managing budgets
To apply, submit application through this website by September 23, 2022.
The Foundation is an inclusive employer. We respect equity, inclusion, diversity, and anti-racism. We are dedicated to creating a workplace reflective of the community we serve and welcome applications from diverse and equity-deserving groups. Accommodation, if required, will be provided throughout the hiring process in accordance with the Human Rights Code.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The full job description is available for review upon request.